You and your real estate agent have found the perfect house to buy and are ready to sign on the dotted line. Real estate agents are knowledgeable in buying and selling properties but cannot represent your interests on legal issues dealing with real estate transactions. The purchase of a new home is one of the most significant purchases you will make. Protect yourself and your assets by consulting with a real estate attorney.
As South Florida is a recently developed state it is very important to ensure that your real estate transaction occurs exactly as you expect and without any surprises, especially after the closing. A good real estate attorney will perform may related professional services including:
- Analyze the purchase agreement and look for illegal structures on the property or lead paint, termites or other potentially hazardous materials. Inspection reports can be difficult to understand but a real estate attorney will explain the findings. This will allow you the opportunity to back out of the deal if the property is determined to not be a safe or a profitable investment. Determine and advise of actions with time conditions.
- Search the property title for liens, probate problems and other issues that can affect closing on the property or become clouds affecting the title of the property.
- Works with all parties involved in the transaction including real estate agents, other real estate attorneys, mortgage companies, lenders and titles companies. They will coordinate dates for inspections, document preparation and final closing.
- Review closing documents, insurance policies and deeds to ensure accuracy and compliance with state and federal laws. A misspelled name can become a headache in the future!
- Explain property taxes to you. The tax appraisal may change the calendar year after closing and you need to be prepared. And will explain the legal effects of the “Homestead” under Florida law.
- Attends the closing with you. They are on-hand to ensure the closing runs smoothly and will be able to handle any problems that may arise.
In Florida most experienced real estate attorneys will provide legal services and title insurance services as part of their professional services; unlike a title insurance company. Whether required or not, develop a relationship with a real estate attorney at the beginning of the buying or selling process for a piece of mind during what can be a very stressful and confusing time.
Ronald A. Luzim has been providing real estate legal and title insurance service since 1974 so Contact Ronald A. Luzim, Esquire in Coral Springs, Florida for all of your real estate legal needs.